Day #2 in Europe

Hi to all who are checking out the blog to see how my trip in Europe is going.  I must apologize for not posting for a while.  Life has been busy and more internet free which, in truth, has been a great blessing in life.

I went home to Vancouver for a couple of days.  After that, I went to the Vancouver Airport on July 20th.  As I was waiting for my plan, I looked over as I was charging my phone and saw a young Asian man in a Roman Collar.  His name was Fr. Matthew from the Archdiocese of Vancouver and was on his way to Rome to do studies in Bio-Ethics.  We had a pleasant conversation, and it was neat to see a priest on the plane.

I got on the plane and we took off.  I couldn’t really sleep on the plane, unfortunately, no matter how hard I tried.  The food wasn’t the best and the entertainment system wasn’t working so well.  I had books, but when people were sleeping, I felt bad putting on the overhead lamp as I didn’t want to wake my neighbour.

I landed in Frankfurt and then made my way down to my next spot, which was to take off to London.  It was an uneventful flight, and I dozed off a bit during it.  I landed, made my way through security (the Immigration Agent had never heard of a Seminarian before) and then made my way to the bus station.  I bought a ticket to Cambridge and waited for the bus.

Unfortunately, the bus was late, and then once on my way, we ran into road construction.  What was to be a 2 hour and 45 minute ride ended up being a 4 hour ride to Cambridge.  I finally got into town, grabbed a taxi, and made my way to Leanna and David’s place.

We had a lovely dinner and visit for the evening, though by this point I hadn’t really slept in 30 hours and so finally got to bed at around 10:30pm.  I slept like a baby.  I woke up and checked the time on my phone and it said “12:30”.  Then I realized that the time hadn’t changed, and that it was actually 8:30am, and so had a very good night’s sleep, though was still very tired when I woke up.

David and I visited for a bit and had some discussions and then decided to make our way into central Cambridge.  We stopped at some bookstores – fear not, I only bought 4 books on the day, a small number for me – and then to The Eagle Pub, where DNA was discovered!

After that we made our way around his college – Clare College – and then King’s Chapel – which is GORGEOUS! – and around various other parts of Cambridge (including more bookstores).  He brought me into the Cambridge library, showed me where C.S. Lewis used to teach, and we eventually made our way back home in time for Leanna to get home (since I had her key).

We chatted for a while and then made our way to St George’s Pub.  Are you noticing a trend yet?  We visited for a while, made our way back, and are now preparing for a late supper.

So far, so good.  I am looking forward to a very full day with David and Leanna tomorrow and then make my way to Milan on Sunday.

God bless!

in Christ



1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One response to “Day #2 in Europe

  1. LeAnna

    It was so good to have you visit–and yes, pub visiting is definitely a trend.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s